Friday, October 12, 2007

P.S.

So...a bright future awaits.

[P.S. to 40]:

The gagging happens, during the 18 x-rays they take of me during Visit the Second. They place the film into my throat, to get the back molars. Can't they find more flexible film without those damn laminated edges?

"I did not notice the gag reflex last time," Doctor V says, dryly.

My doc (dent?) is knowledgeable (grad student), yet dry. This calm demeanor is a good thing when he's juicing me up, the cutting. His focus is impressive. My jaw's durability is impressive.

When he speaks, he mixes sympathy with the cold seriousness of a messenger. He's trying to scare me into changing my brushing habits. But this is ingrained.

By his account (and after seeing the tally, I'd agree), there are serious "things" happening in my mouth. I'm not sure if these are major "events" or will there be nipple. Should I "secure provisions" or not?

NYU is going to be where I spend a lot of time sitting down.

Five (5) of my fillings will be paid (they PAY me, hourly; unsure of cost) and free of charge. These are exams. Painless? I wouldn't want to owe any of them money when they're bleeding me, that's for sure.

I should mention that I deserve this.

My last dentist visit was 5 years ago: I paid $6000 colones ($20) to a woman in Rohrmoser, San Jose, Costa Rica (2nd best dental care in the world, after the US...dicen que dicen). She rubbed dye on my teeth to locate cavities -- where the dye turns reddish, that's a cavity. I left when she told me she didn't have amalgam to work with.

No comments: